The Maajii-anokiidaa program is designed for both individuals looking for full-time work and business owners looking to hire full-time employees. In part one of the training program, SGEI prepares individuals for the demands of the workplace. Program participants complete their training with a range of industry-recognized certifications. Following training, participants transition into part two, a paid work placement. Local businesses looking for employees hire SGEI’s training grads while SGEI helps pay their wage.
Part 1: Employment Skills Training
Employment Skills Training (EST) prepares participants with the skills and tools to enter the workforce. Eligible participants will be paid an hourly wage to complete this training. Participants who successfully complete the Employment Skills Training portion of the program will be eligible for a Quality Employment Opportunity wage subsidy with an employer.
Program curriculum: EST curriculum includes, but is not limited to:
- Goal setting and career mapping
- Resume and cover letter writing
- Soft skills and workplace culture
- Interview skills, mock interviews, and networking
- Canadian workplace communications
- Employment standards, occupational health and safety, and workers’ rights and responsibilities
- Finances in Canada
Eligibility: to qualify for EST, applicants must be:
- Aged 15-30
- A Canadian Citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Legally entitled to work in Canada, and
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
Part 2: Quality Employment Opportunities
Are you an employer looking to hire qualified full-time employees? Let SGEI train your future employees and pay their wages! A Quality Employment Opportunities (QEO) is an eight-week paid work placement. Employers will receive a wage subsidy for the entire eight-week period for each eligible participant hired. Employers are welcome to hire more than one person with this program, as long as they meet eligibility requirements.
Employee eligibility: same as above
Employer eligibility: to qualify for a QEO, employers must:
- Have current employment vacancies
- Be able to provide full-time employment with a minimum of 30 hours per week