One (1) year contract
(Posted: Thursday February 22, 2018)
The Maintenance Helper will work closely with the Maintenance Coordinator to support all facility maintenance activities. The Maintenance Helper will be responsible for all maintenance aspects of the plant, buildings, grounds and related equipment of the school. In collaboration with the Facilities Coordinator prioritizes work requests as to need and urgency.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Apprenticeship, Essential Skills and Post-Secondary Education
LOCATION: Manidoo Baawaatig, Kenora
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Grade 12 or equivalent
• Is an Apprenticeship member of the Ontario College of the Trades in the following; Electrician – Construction and Maintenance or Electrician – Domestic and Rural
• Maintenance Management in a cultural/education institution or high profile facility
• Demonstrated customer service excellence
• Knowledge of Building Management and Facility and Maintenance Operations including Occupational Health and Safety requirements
• Knowledge of Microsoft Suite of products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in team environment
• High organization skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously
• Work independently without regular direct supervision
• Be available for weekends and evenings as assigned
• Must possess valid driver’s license
RESPONSIBILITIES – Major:
1. Communicates with Maintenance Coordinator on a daily basis to ensure safe and secure facilities, equipment and grounds.
2. Maintains inspection and maintenance documentation
3. Performs maintenance and repairs to facility systems, including but not limited to plumbing, heating, electrical, furnishings, equipment, air handling apparatus, glazing, and roofing.
4. Seeks appropriate guidance with regard to building acts and regulations and facilities budget expenditures
5. Interprets problems and applies skills, knowledge and judgement to correct situations
6. Responsible for ensuring that safety practices are constantly adhered to while performing any duties
7. Builds repairs and/or installs furnishings and equipment
Positive and professional attitude required for the interaction with students, staff and guests.
Lifting or moving up to 50 pounds may be required
• Works in a school/office setting which is generally agreeable atmosphere.
• Regular outdoor work is often required.
• Moderate with regular heavy physical effort normally required including routine walking, dynamic standing to perform duties and regular pushing/pulling of equipment, regular bending/stooping and reaching forward from knee to shoulder height.
• Occasional heavy effort may be required in carrying or stocking supplies and/or moving equipment.
• Constant visual concentration is necessary.
• Frequent handling and gripping
• May be exposed to dust and noise
• Travel may be required
• Ability to attend and conduct presentations
• Ability to respond to trouble calls
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
• Overtime as required
Applications must include a cover letter, current resume, including three (3) employment related references; one (1) of which must be from a current or recent supervisor. Please submit by 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday March 6, 2018 to the attention of:
Seven Generations Education Institute,
1455 Idylwild Drive
P.O. Box 297, Fort Frances, ON
P9A 3M6 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (807)274-8761
We would like to thank everyone for their application, but only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodation in the recruitment process is available upon request for applicants with disabilities. For a complete job description: please contact Michelle Allan-Director of Human Resources